Written by Leslie Britton, Montessori Play and Learn
- Never give your child pretend tools, such as a toy dustpan and brush, or a knife that is blunt and won’t really cut, because he will soon discover that he can’t make them work, and will become frustrated and give up.
- Provide real tools, making sure that they are the correct size for him.
- When you show him how to do something, do it slowly to give him time to absorb it all, and repeat it several times if necessary to make sure he’s got the hang of it.
- If necessary take him through the activity step by step, making sure he understands each step before moving on to the next.
- Let him repeat the activity as many times as he likes as this is how he learns.